Friday, October 3, 2008

The long drive home...

On my way home tonight, I had some time to let my mind wander. As I drove, the rain pounding against my windshield, the songs on the radio began to speak to my heart. Each one played as if it were just for me. And while I couldn't recall the particular songs, the general thought was the same.

These thoughts came to me...

I remember growing up and thinking about all of the things that I wanted out of life. I remember, even from a very young age, that I wanted children. I remember, as a young girl, lining up all my dolls and stuffed toys playing for hours on end pretending to be a mom and a teacher. (By the way, my daughters do this too!)

As the years passed, I began thinking about my future even more. I began trying to plan out my life. Even back then, I was a list maker. My profession, my home, even my future husband and children (maybe not all five) were all on that list. It was all a part of my master plan.

Over the years, as my journey progressed and life happened, my list started to change. Some things were eliminated, others were just rearranged. I still had the basic concept of what I wanted out of life but the path of obtaining those things wasn't the clear, direct path I had envisioned. It had turns, twists and dead ends. It had hills and valleys to conquer. It had great joys and sheer sadness.

At times, I walked the path alone and other times, I would have the honor of walking those paths together with family and friends. Sometimes we would walk that path together, and then a sharp veer in the once straight and narrow path would seperate us, leaving me to walk alone.

It was during those times of walking alone that allowed me the opportunity to learn and grow. It gave me the chance to become who I am today. For if I had always had someone along side of me on that path, I would have never had the time to look deep within myself and find the things I found.

On those long, narrow paths I was able to form new friendships and create new memories. Those sharp veers that secluded me, taught me about heartache, sadness, and disappointment. Those I once walked with were suddenly gone. As time passed, I learned that sometimes, our paths would meet again. Other times, as I struggled to understand heartache and loss, it became apparent that our paths would never cross again in this lifetime. In time, they will but not this side of Heaven.

Through the years, I learned that there are no perfect people, no perfect life, and certainly no perfect plan. We all have our faults. Just as my master plan underwent changes through the years, so have I. And I'm sure, so have each of you. Afterall, I can't be the only person that has ever eaten a big bowl of alphabet soup (eaten my words).

Tonight, as the songs played on the radio, I thought about how my master plan had changed over the years. I thought about those I have met as well as those I loved and those I lost. A feeling of gratefulness washed over me just as the rain washed over my windshield. I have been given the opportunity of reconnecting with old friends. Friends who's paths have split from mine only to have merged years later.

Isn't life strange sometimes?

Over the past five years, I have had the opportunity to reconnect with several old friends. It has been a fantastic journey that has given me many wonderful memories! For that, I will be forever grateful.

Take the time to not only look where you're going but also where you came from.

1 comment:

Dora said...

I'm glad to have reconnected with you :)

Blog Archive

Photos of Us

www.flickr.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed