Thursday, October 2, 2008

Man it's hot in here!

Now I know that if I were to tell you where I was hiding out at the moment, you would think I'm absolutely crazy. That is, if you don't already! Even so, I'll give you a clue. Typically, it's one of the only places a Mom can hide. That is, until the little ones figure out how to pick the lock and interrupt your daily rituals. That's right. I'm in the restroom. Now, you're probably wondering why in the world I would choose to hide out in the bathroom to blog. No, it's not due to some intestional bug that has taken hold of my GI system. Instead, it is because my husband has kindly started our wood stove which has in turn heated the entire living room, dining room, kitchen and even the hallway to the point of boiling way too hot. Let me just add that I'm not the only one who finds it too hot in the living room. The dog has plopped his big butt in my bedroom and Black Jack (our cat) has curled up on the bathroom countertop around the sink. So, since every other room in the house has a sleeping person in it, I have opted to hide out in the bathroom where it is much cooler and blog. And now, you all know my secret. Ha!

I just returned home a bit ago from my EMT class. I'm really enjoying the entire class and learning many things that have helped me expand the knowledge I already have. I love the field of medicine. There is always something new and usually exciting (in a sick, morbid kind of way) to learn. It definately keeps you on your toes!

Speaking of toes... Have I ever let you in on my fear of feet? Or shall I say, my foot phobia? I have now. You see, when I first started seriously thinking of what I wanted to do with my life, I thought of nursing. The main thing that held me back; however, was my fear of having to touch feet. Mainly, any foot that belonged to someone over the age of, umm, toddler age. You know, like seven. When the tiny little feet with the cute little toes start turning into stinky, smelly feet that have squished through mud pies and dog poo. Okay, so maybe not that extreme but seriously, I had have a foot phobia. And tonight, I found out that I have two days to face my fears. Umm, hello? Are you serious?

Now, before you start asking me what the heck I was thinking when I signed up to be an EMT, especially if I don't like feet, let me explain. I thought I could slowly get over the whole foot issue. I mean, it's just a foot right? I could use gloves if I ever had to touch someones foot. I mean, at least there will be something between my skin and theirs. A barrier. Gloves. Sounds simple, right? Uh....it's not.

When my instructor told everyone to be sure they washed their feet and came to class on Saturday with clean shoes, socks and feet, I started getting a hint that maybe I wasn't going to have any other option other than to get over my foot phobia immediately. As soon as the words escaped his lips, my sympathetic nervous system shot into overdrive. Suddenly, I felt like a deer in the headlights. Even now, I am asking myself how in the world I am going to start my clinicals off on the right foot when I have a foot phobia. And yes, that was an intended pun. :)

And so, here I am, anxious as can be about having to touch the feet of my fellow classmates! Ack! I feel sick...
.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Photos of Us

www.flickr.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed