Saturday, January 1, 2011

Remembering...

Goodbye 2010

Hello 2011


The New Year has begun and I couldn't be more excited about it. This morning, in a couple hours actually, my wonderful children will have returned home to me after being gone for far too long. They left Christmas Day and although I have received a few phone calls over the last week, my heart will ache until they are home and snuggled in my arms.


As most people start off the New Year, they are inclined to make a list of resolutions that they hope to accomplish in the upcoming twelve months. More often than not, that list becomes shorter with each passing day week. Even with the best intentions, our everyday lifestyles get in the way. We fall back into the same routines and the resolutions fall off this years list only to be placed on next years.


Before I hammer out the list of unlikely resolutions that I have, I would like to post a list of the things that stick out in my head from 2010.


In 2010...


I started the year off as a seperated mom of five who was trying to wade through a sea of turmoil. It was filled with hurt, broken dreams, questions and shattered hearts. In January, I vowed to make a change. I enrolled in the Paramedic program and hoped like hell that I could muster up the strength to get through the three semesters, successfully. My baby turned four and we celebrated it like rockstars with family and friends. Time ticked... slowly.


February rolled around. My life, although still shaken, began to take on a little more shape. I refused to drag things out. I filed and began the painful process of divorce. Valentines Day was nothing more than a Hallmark Holiday and I vowed to Uncelebrate it. With a new month came new experiences. The children had a routine in place for visiting their father. I was pushing myself to become a better person. And I received my first "fix it" ticket. Life moved forward.


March arrived and brought with it another roller coaster of stress. I turned another year older, 33 to be exact. I celebrated it early with a night on the town, enjoying an amazing time with friends and family. It was a true taste of things I had been missing out on for a long time. My second child turned double digits and surrounded by family and friends, we celebrated his 10th birthday. I had the unfortunate pleasure of spending some time in the hospital this month and not for my clinincals. The children continued on with their schooling and I moved forward with mine.


April brought the Easter Bunny and the most unpleasant experience of having my gallbladder removed and an unexpected non-laproscopic abdominal surgery. Six days in the hospital, away from my children and recoving from having my innards jostled were made bearable by having the company of an amazing friend at my bedside the entire time. The children looked forward to their upcoming summer break while I was patiently waiting for my first semester to end.


May rolled in with a new found freedom for our family. Emilee turned seven and with the help of myself, Dave and her siblings at her side, she ditched the training wheels and learned to ride her two wheeler. She was thrilled and we were so proud of her. Spring was beautiful. The weather was improving and the children were blooming. They were excited to be finishing up their school year with trips, parties and field days. My first semester from school was over and I had a week to prepare for the next seven months.


June greeted us with sunshine, a new place to call home and a teenager! Jacob turned thirteen and he was sure to let everyone know it. We celebrated with family and friends and I vowed to learn more patience as we travel through the rest of the troubling teenage years. The children were released for summer break and the fun began. I was pushing through the medic program, beginning my clinicals and giving great thanks for the ongoing support from my family and friends. It had been six months of trying to make a new life for the children and I. Although it hadn't been without troubles, it was without question that our lives were bigger, brighter, and happier than they were six months before.


July exploded with fireworks. The kids were enjoying the time off of school. We filled our days with playtime at the parks, the beach, taking walks, eating ice cream, playing ball and enjoying the time we had together. Jonathon decided it was time to ditch the training wheels at the age of four and with Jacob by his side, he rode across the school yard showing me his new talent. I was so proud of him and thrilled that Jacob was the one to be at his side when it happened. Their bond is amazing! As the month continued, the annual Steam Show went on as normal even though the concept of it no longer being an annual family vacation lingered. It was another unpleasant reminder of the way our new life would be.


August provided more summer fun. The children wanted to be on the go all the time while I struggled to keep up with my clinicals, classes and everyday life. The second semester of the medic program ended and the third and final semester began. We fit in as many outings as we could and captured numerous photos to fill our albums. Katelyn turned nine and celebrated it surrounded by those who love and adore her. It was hard to believe that my little girl was becoming such a young lady. We were all saddened to see the summer days coming to an end and knew that before long, the children would be starting classes at a new school district.


September rolled in, although sooner than the kids would have liked, and a new school year began. Jacob started the 8th grade. Austin was in 5th, Katelyn was in 4th and Emilee rounded up the batch in 2nd grade. I questioned how so many years have passed us by. Afterall, I had met their father at the end of my 8th grade year. Jacob was right around the corner and I suddenly became a little frightened. The first few weeks of school came with adjustments, new routines and hope for a successful year for each of my children.


October brought with it the crisp Autumn air, road-side pumpkin stands, cider and doughnuts and of course, Halloween. For the first time in many years, the children passed out candy instead of going trick-or-treating. They did have an evening of trunk-or-treat fun and was able to hit up a few of the neighboring houses before passing out candy to the other ghosts and goblins in the neighborhood. Even though my classes were cut to twice a month, my days were filled to the brim. My clinicals continued on and my internship of another 250 hours on the ambulance had begun. The passing of my 15th wedding anniversary was bittersweet. I was continously reminded that things happen for a reason and to be patient for the reasons to be revealed to me.


November arrived and reminded us all of the many things we have to be thankful for. It was a difficult year for the children and I, which was marked by Thanksgiving Weekend. Even so, we were thankful for a house that was becoming a home. A family we could call our own. Our health, our family, our friends and the promise that everything would continue to get better in time. A delicious thanksgiving dinner was made and shared together as a family, Christmas lists were started and the first 250 hours of my clinicals were finally finished.


December marked the end of the year. It also marked the end of my 15 year marriage to the father of my children. Holiday decorating began. Cookies, candies, cards, ornaments, lights, letters, giggles and love filled the house. Gifts were purchased, wrapped and placed beneath the tree. I completed the last 250 hours of my internship and prepared for my final exam. As luck would have it, Santa even came early for the kids, allowing them to celebrate Christmas on the 19th this year. A few days later, I completed and passed the Paramedic program! The week progressed, allowing the kids to enjoy their Christmas gifts before having to leave for their fathers. Christmas Eve was celebrated with family and friends. It was an evening I won't forget. Although New Years Eve left me without children, I was in no shape to ring in 2011 anywhere but home. That's okay though because we will be holding our own New Years Day party with the children. A day of celebrating an incredibly difficult year that is now behind us and preparing to enjoy every moment of the New Year that is before us.


So as you can see, my year was filled with many ups and downs. Even though I may not have accomplished every item on my resolution list last year, I did manage to accomplish some of them.





  • My children knowing that they are loved, appreciated and important to me


  • A new, stronger, independent, determined woman who is 30 pounds lighter


  • Paramedic program successfully completed


  • A future promise of love, happiness and moments that will change my life.


What did you accomplish over the last year?


Many blessings being sent your way.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Photos of Us

www.flickr.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed