Thursday, June 10, 2010

What a difference

Six months ago, the children and I started over. With each passing month, we grew in ways we never thought we could. We worked through our grief in individual ways. There were tears, outbursts, anger, attitudes and emotional meltdowns along the way; however, no matter what we faced, we worked through it. The children and I learned that we really are not that different at all.

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry. And I know you do the same things too, So we're really not that different, me and you.” -Colin Raye


The six of us have learned that our time together is limited. Whether it is playing outdoors, walking to the park or taking a bike ride, it is time spent together that we are able to make precious memories. Each day is a day passed that we are unable to get back. I am so thankful to have the time to spend with them, making memories and enjoying the little things.

We are all doing wonderfully. Jacob has turned 13. It is hard to believe that I'm the mother of a teenager. How does that happen? Jacob is completing his 7th grade year tomorrow. He has the attitude now to go along with his age. It's a difficult stage for both of us. Inside, I know that he is still grieving and processing everything that has happened this year. Unfortunately, he chooses to internalize many of his frustrations and disappointments which then causes him to lash out inappropriately. This will be a difficult process; however, we will make it through.

Austin is now 10. The year of double digits. He is completing his fourth grade year and is looking forward to the fifth grade. He has such a tender heart and it truly breaks my heart to see him hurting. He is learning each and everyday that life is not fair and no matter what we want, sometimes we just can't have it. He is still doing fantastic in school and really enjoys it. Some of his favorite subjects are Science and History.

Katelyn is 8, quickly approaching her 9th birthday. She will be finishing up her third grade year tomorrow. She absolutely loves school. Kate has started a book series and spends a great deal of time reading. Most recently, she's started playing school with her siblings. Unfortunately, she has been displaying some pretty intense moodswings lately. While she is trying to figure out how to stay in control of them, I am learning how to keep my sanity during her episodes.

Emilee is now 7. She will complete first grade tomorrow. Emilee has started to become more concerned with her hair, her clothes and her newest favorite, nail polish! She has started using the phone to call her friends and comes home with random phone numbers from time to time. It is such a joy to see her developing into a young lady. Unfortunately, she too has taken on some moodswings. I am certain that I will end up with extra grey hair from Emilee. She is a spit-fire, for sure.

Jonathon is 4. He's my little man. Each and everyday he brings great joy and laughter to my life. He has developed his own personality and lets it shine for all to see. He has recently moved from riding a tricycle to riding a two-wheeler with training wheels. He sure does think he's hot-stuff! He still has another year home before he will be attending school. I'm thankful for that extra time I will get to spend with him before he ventures off into big kid land.

As far as myself, I'm doing well. Everyday brings new things to learn from and adjust to. I am mid-way through my Medic program and am loving it. It's a great deal of work but I know in the end it will be so rewarding! I am focusing on myself in spirit, mind and body. In April, I ended up having my gallbladder removed unexpectedly. I'm still having some GI issues post-removal but the pain is substantially less than before. I've lost weight, several inches, changed nine pant-sizes and have picked up running. I'm overcoming what I thought six months ago was impossible.

Each day is a blessing. Each moment, a gift. Time spent with my children, irreplaceable. And so, my focus remains on them. It always has been and always will be!

What are you focused on?

~Blessings, my friends~

No comments:

Blog Archive

Photos of Us

www.flickr.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed