Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Holy Crap, Literally! Is there a FLOOD?

Please forgive the delay in this. I've tried to keep everyone updated via facebook as much as I could. This is the latest news.

It's almost 2pm. We have a plan, finally! A fifth doctor came in and saw Jonathon a while ago. After doing some palpating, they determined he had a very large mass of what they believed to be stool. He's never had an issue with constipation before but they said that since he is beginning to make the transition to being a "big boy" (no more diapers), he could "hold it" and therefore, end up constipated. She thought the stool was pressing on the bladder and causing him to retain urine.

They decided to give him a suppository to see if things started moving. We removed his diaper, which they have been encouraging him to use instead of the toilet, to find that he FINALLY peed on his own!! No doctors hovering over him, scaring the pee out of him (literally) and no cath. She said that if all went well and he was able to pee and poop then we may be able to go home about 6pm tonight.

After the suppository was given, we napped. He woke up, hid behind the chair and yep, you guessed it, filled his pants! Daddy had the short straw and was granted the diaper change duty on that one. :D The only thing I got to hear was something about a "tennis ball" and the not so pleasant smell that woke me up from my nap. I must have been down wind.

So, he has successfully peed and pooped on his own. He has been started on Miralax to help keep things moving. As I'm typing this, he is making me laugh! He was on all fours, playing with the toys and stopped. He lifted his leg up and assumed the position of a dog peeing on a bush. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I just peed. It hurt a little bit."

The cloud seems to be lifting here. I am SO glad to see the sunshine coming back. He has been so funny this afternoon. He's talking, playing, and just being silly. I was becoming worried but am so glad that he is doing much better than he was a few hours earlier.

As of now, it appears the cath may not be an issue for us. I can relate to the cath issue post bladder repair though. I had bladder repair with my hysterectomy and couldn't void after the surgery. I ended up coming home with a cath in place and a leg bag. NOT pleasant. I finally had enough of it and removed it on my own within a day. I wouldn't want Jonathon to have to deal with something as unpleasant as that, especially at three years old.

Thanks again for the support and listening to me babble on about this. It means alot.

Have a great day. With any luck, we will be sleeping in our own beds tonight!!

Becky

No comments:

Blog Archive

Photos of Us

www.flickr.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed