Thursday, April 7, 2011

Because I do...

I sit here, gazing at your handsome face, wondering what five year old little boys could possibly dream of. Maybe it's of a brotherly game of football in the backyard. Perhaps you're the new customer in your sister's restuarant waiting to be served an assortment of plastic food and make believe coffee. I wonder if you're dreaming about the new puppy you've asked for or the vacation we are going on. Or maybe you're dreaming of being a paramedic like your Momma or a FireFighter like your Daddy when you grow up. Whatever it is, I pray your dreams are peaceful, relaxing, enjoyable and that you are able to get restful sleep tonight.

It's nearly 3am and another day of Motherhood has come to an end. I ended my night by rubbing the leg cramps out that were keeping a five year old awake and crying. I rubbed as he laid his head on my shoulder, snuggling in as close to me as he could with the corner of a towel placed firmly in his left hand and his left thumb planted directly in his mouth. Slowly, his eyes grew heavy and all expressions of pain left his face. I laid him down, covered him up and planted a kiss on his forehead. He let out a sigh. A smile crossed my face and I thought, "This is what it's really all about."

Many of nights, I have sat by a bedside with an ill child while holding them and a bucket as they vomited. I have changed numerous sheets because someone had an accident of some sort in their bed. I have rubbed many leg cramps, warmed up many hot packs and cried many times right along with my children because they hurt. I have dispensed medications to a child who had a high fever or a raging ear infection. I have placed countless cool cloths on foreheads, vapor rub on their chests, or sat with them while they took a bath to help cool their 103 degree temperature. I have sat in the steamy bathroom because my child had croup and was coughing like a seal. I have sat up for countless hours watching my child breathe, listening to their lungs and wishing the time could pass quicker so I could take them to their doctor. I have traveled the roads late at night because an illness prompted an emergency room visit. I have sat in numerous hospital emergency rooms, urgent care rooms, waiting rooms, doctor offices, pharmacy lines, and endured hospital stays with my children. I have wiped tears away, held hands, rocked, cuddled and soothed a child because someone or something had them upset or fearful. I have done these things and will continue to do these things each and every day because this is what I do. It is who I am. I am Mom and a Mom's job is never done.

At the end of the day, whether it's 10pm or 3am, I am honored to be Mom to five wonderful children who are an amazing gift that I have been blessed with. Whether it's glancing in the memory box that is full of letters, poems, cards, drawings and strories or hearing numerous "I love you's" or feeling the arms of numerous children wrapped around my arms, legs, neck and torso several times each day, I know that they feel pretty blessed as well. I thank the Lord each day for allowing me to be their Mother.

Each day passes faster than the last. Embrace every moment you are blessed with. Treasure them. Cherish them. Enjoy them. Live for those moments. Most importantly, be thankful for each moment and make each of them count because in an instant, your world can change and leave you with nothing more than memories.

May you be blessed with a special moment today in your life. I know I will be.
Many blessings to each of you!

-Becky

No comments:

Blog Archive

Photos of Us

www.flickr.com

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed